Saturday, December 1, 2012

Within You Without You - Tabla patterns

I've always loved the sound of the tabla, the Indian percussion instrument.  And it plays a huge role in George Harrison's song Within You Without You, which I am working on to record my cover.

I don't have a tabla set but my friend Jim (percussionist, we are the duo Cabsha here in Ottawa) has a pair of congas and a pair of bongos, so that's what I am using to recreate the rhythm patterns in the song.

Most of the song is in 4/4, except for the instrumental solo in the middle which is 5/4.  In these videos I do my best to play each pattern along with the original recording.




I still miss the sound of the tabla...  But this might work a lot better once Jim is the one playing the patterns :-)
The 5/4 pattern is pretty much the same throughout the solo. But the 4/4 pattern is actually 4 bars long, and the "bass" sound of the tabla is the one that changes across bars, totally disappearing every fourth bar.  We will have to work hard on the percussion tracks.

No comments: