Saturday, December 1, 2012

Within You Without You - Practicing dilruba solo

My daughter Jazmin suggested I cover Within You Without You and I took the challenge!  I will record all the parts for a full cover, and I will also arrange it to play live on guitar and loops (to build the drone), with Jim on percussion.
George Harrison recorded this song with Indian musicians.  George plays Sitar and sings, the Indian ensemble includes Dilruba (Indian violin), Tambura (drone), and Tabla (percussion).  George Martin added cellos, violins and harp.  I am slowly working through all the parts.  In this video I am practicing the dilruba solo in 5/4.


It's quite challenging to transcribe the dilruba part for guitar and try to emulate the phrasing and expression.
Will post updates as I make progress with the other parts.

No comments: